I attended my first food festival this year in Doha, Qatar. Food probably defines me so it’s not surprising that when my friend suggested we attend I didn’t even hesitate and if that wasn’t prove enough that food compels my life I rocked up before it even started! But even though the thought of a food festival is incredible to a foodie, it was overwhelming – to say the least- for a newbie like myself. Before I went I read blog posts about the best food stalls to visit and that helped me to choose the foods I just had to try. But there were other things I wish I knew before I went. So, I’ve decided to put together a little list to help other rookies get through their first food festival without any hassle.
10 Tips For Attending Your First Food Festival
1. Don’t arrive starving! Have a light snack or some water beforehand so that you are not completely starving when you arrive. A hungry tummy can make you very impatient, it can confuse you and you might overeat – and you don’t want that!
2. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes! There’s a lot of walking to be done and if you bloat up like me when you eat too much you might want to make sure you wearing pants with a lot of stretch!
3. Make the ATM your first stop. Withdraw enough money to see you through your food experience. This will help you set a budget and make your food purchases quicker so you can indulge sooner.
4. Locate the toilets. Trust me you won’t want to skip this. Having to run around like a headless chicken looking for the toilets while your bladder is about to explode is not cool. K
5. Stay hydrated. Food festivals are usually in summer and being out and about in the sun all day will make you feel thirsty. You can buy water at the festival but it’s more economical to bring your own water bottle along. Having water will also come in handy when you try to clear your palette for the next taste adventure!
6. Browse around the stalls. If you don’t already know what you want to try then I’d highly suggest you explore the stalls and see what’s available first and then go ahead and make your choices from there. This way you can plan your meals and manage your spending effectively. Your wallet will thank me later!
7. Try something different. You may recognise your favourite food stall and run over to it like I did but try not too. Even though I wasn’t disappointed it took up tummy space! Do your best to try something new and different to your usually choice. You might come across a little pop up that you may never see again until the next year. So, step out of your comfort zone and explore the different taste experiences. It’s a food festival!
8. Take photos. Food photography is a big deal! If you find yourself in Doha for this years International Food Festival you can enter your food photos and show off your skills by using the hashtag #QIFFPIC on Instagram to win amazing prizes! All submissions will be judged on April 6, 2017.
9. Plan to attend as many days as you can. This way you can experience the whole festival and fully enjoy everything that’s on offer. Food festivals are amazing and it makes a great day out for family and friends.
10. Have fun. This goes without saying. It’s so easy to get really hot and bothered because it can get crowed but don’t let that get you down. Just take it all in because it is an incredible experience to be surrounded by the aroma of deliciously crafted food and seeing the smiles on everyones faces when they take the first bite.
Have you attended a food festival before? Do you have any tips to add? Have you attended this years food festival in Doha? Let me know in the comment section.
Are you following me on Facebook yet? Please do so I can keep you updated with my latest shenanigans. I aim to inspire in all that I do and you can also find me on my Instagram and YouTube channel too.